Error message

  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /home/storage/510/3354510/user/htdocs/includes/
  • Deprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in menu_set_active_trail() (line 2404 of /home/storage/510/3354510/user/htdocs/includes/

What can I claim for?

By way of example only, if a police officer assaults you in the course of his duty, unless where he can claim it was either a genuine accident or self defence, he is subject to the same rule of law as you. Indeed, as a police officer, he is likely to receive an even stiffer penalty. He has betrayed the trust of the public.

More complex is the situation where you have been arrested and then not charged, or arrested, charged and then acquitrted. It does not follow in these circumstances that you are entitled to compensation. The key question is whether the police had sufficient information at the time of your arrest to entitle them to come to a conclusion that you might have committed the criminal offence in question. If the answer is “No”, then you are entitled to bring a claim for “wrongful or unlawful arrest.”

If you are then prosecuted but you believe that there was no proper ground to do so but that the police officer had, for example, a personal grudge against you, and was malicious in his intent, you may be able to claim for “malicious prosecution”. This is a claim against the police rather than against the individual who made the complaint against you, which was with any truth to it.

There are other claims. For example you can claim “Misfeasance in public office” where a police officer has acted improperly. You can also make a complaint for local resolution or the IPCC. If you are unhappy with their findings, you are able then to apply for judicial review to the High Court. That can lead to the matter being reconsidered or even an award of damages.

The Legal Company
1st Floor
Kensington High St
W8 6SN
(By Appointment Only)

All Correspondence to:
The Legal Company
Hilton Regus Express
Outwood Lane
M90 4WP